The conception, birth, and first steps of an application named Charlie

Subscribe: Atom or RSS

Source Code Control for Dummies

by Alister Jones (SomeNewKid)

In a previous entry on source code control systems, I admitted that I was not smart enough to download CVS, to install SourceGear Vault, or to use Visual SourceSafe. I felt pretty dumb.

Fortunately, a reader suggested that I try Subversion with a TortoiseSVN interface. These two tools work together beautifully, and provide source code control for dummies like me (which is not to suggest that Subversion is somehow lightweight).

Get this, rather than presenting me with a download folder full of 102 files with cryptic names, like CVS, the Subversion home page actually told me which file I’d most likely need.

Get this too, rather than asking me annoying questions during the installation, like SourceGear Vault, the Subversion and TortoiseSVN installations made their own smart decisions.

Get this three, rather than providing brief and unhelpful instructions, like Visual SourceSafe, the TortoiseSVN client provides extremely easy to read, yet thorough, documentation.

So I now have in place a source code control system that is a joy to use. TortoiseSVN integrates with Windows Explorer so that it provides up-to-date visual feedback regarding the status of my files. It does this by overlaying status symbols upon file and folder icons.

Unlike Visual SourceSafe, Subversion does not work by locking files. I am free to create, edit, and delete files and folders in the same way that I have always done. Whereas Visual SourceSafe would force me to change my style of working, Subversion and TortoiseSVN stay out of the way until I call upon them. I am impressed by their power and pleased by their simplicity.

Thank you, Jeremy Miller, for the recommendation.

by Alister Jones | Next up: Getting Started by Getting Agile

0 comments

----