The conception, birth, and first steps of an application named Charlie

Subscribe: Atom or RSS

Methodology - Finding the Right Path

by Alister Jones (SomeNewKid)

In Coder to Developer, Mike Gunderloy writes that he “almost decided not to mention methodologies at all.” I almost decided not to consider methodologies at all. However, I figure that any process is better than no process. So I read Mike’s brief review of the waterfall approach, the iterative approaches, and the agile approaches. I then read a few online documents that further described agile approaches.

I must admit that I do not understand any methodology other than the waterfall approach. I have read a number of articles about iterative and agile development; while I understand the words that I read, they do not form a picture in my mind. I cannot “see” the methodologies in a way that I can understand them, much less apply them.

So I have decided to go my own way. It is surely better to follow my own path that is clear to me, than to follow another’s path that is dark to me.

And what is my own way? While it is clear to me, I do not yet want to commit to it. I have not yet finished reading Coder to Developer or Code Complete, and those books may change the path I plan to take.

The answer then to the question of methodology is: to be determined.

by Alister Jones | Next up: What about UML?

0 comments

----