The conception, birth, and first steps of an application named Charlie

Subscribe: Atom or RSS

The Elevator Pitch

by Alister Jones (SomeNewKid)

I have on my desk Mike Gunderloy’s Coder to Developer. It is my hope that Mike’s book will get me started on the right path to creating a successful application. I plan to read this book from its front to its back, implementing all recommendations that I believe to be relevant to my web application.

The book suggests that the first step to creating a successful application is to write an elevator pitch: a short statement describing what the software will do, and why. I appreciate the benefits of this first step, so I will not skip it.

Here is my first attempt at the elevator pitch:

“Charlie is a web-based application that simplifies the creation, maintenance, and use of websites. For a website developer, Charlie simplifies the process of creating and updating a website. For a website owner, Charlie simplifies the process of maintaining and editing a website. For a website user, Charlie simplifies the process of navigating and using a website.”

Is the above elevator pitch any good? I have no idea.

While I feel sure that the statement will change, I believe that writing it was a very useful first exercise. The application is no longer an indefinite idea floating about my head. The application is now a definite statement of purpose.

The first step has been taken.

by Alister Jones | Next up: Who is Charlie?

0 comments

----