The conception, birth, and first steps of an application named Charlie

Subscribe: Atom or RSS

What about UML?

by Alister Jones (SomeNewKid)

When I first started developing little websites using ASP.NET, I had a nagging doubt that I was somehow doing it wrong because I did not first plan my classes with UML. I would visit bookstores and look through UML books and think to myself, “That’s just replacing one headache with another.” I could see UML’s value as a method of communication, but I could not see UML’s value as a method of design—particularly for a single developer.

I also wondered whether an inexperienced developer could even create legitimate UML diagrams. By way of explanation, let me tell you that I have never been to London and visited Stringfellows. It would be nonsensical then for me to try to draw a map of how to get there. (I sure hope my cabbie knows the way!) I have also never created a full application. So how could I possibly draw a map of how to get there?

I asked one of my heroes of development, Paul Wilson, whether he uses UML when designing his components. His reply was, “I do not use UML or any similarly ‘structured’ methodology--although I do at times communicate my designs with UML diagrams.”

When talking about UML in Coder to Developer, Mike Gunderloy says, “For small tools and utilities, I don’t find that the exercise of going through formal UML diagrams helps much.”

So, with confirmation from both Paul and Mike, I will give UML a miss.

by Alister Jones | Next up: The Architecture - Part 1

0 comments

----